[DWJ] Classic books

Jane Scarlett mail at janescarlett.com
Wed Nov 4 02:33:53 EST 2009

> I disliked _Huckleberry Finn_ intensely when I read it, mostly because of
> the slavery thing and the way Jim is treated as a consequence.

I haven't read this, but read Uncle Tom's Cabin about a year ago, and it was
a real struggle.  Fascinating to see how much attitudes have changed,
because I found it horribly patronising, characters mostly unbelievable,
dreadful plot, mawkish sentiment.  Hard to reconcile the book with the
impact it had at the time.  Has anyone else read it?

Jane