[DWJ] Classic books

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 00:52:34 EST 2009

I actually have read Pilgrim's Progress--because it was mentioned so much in
Little Women, though I'm not sure if I read both parts.  (I think I
literally read every book Louisa May Alcott ever wrote; I was the only
little girl in southern Virginia in the early 90s who spoke in an 1880s New
England writing style.) though I was a lit major, and a religion major, and
I never had it come up in conversation anyway. . ..  I've never read Moby
Dick.  I think I was too squeamish when I was younger to bear reading about
killing whales, and I've just never quite gotten around to it since.

Interestingly enough, the -other- book that was, with the Bible, very likely
to be found in early American homes--Plutarch.  I originally learned this
from "Seven Brides for Seven Brothers," and was excited to find out that it
was somewhat true.

I like Mark Twain best in small amounts.  He's hilarious in quotes, amusing
in short stories, and overbearing in bulk.

lizzie