[DWJ] Classic books

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue Nov 3 17:22:33 EST 2009

>Jane said...
>
>> Can't face Dickens though - I'm convinced by
>> never having read even a sentence that I won't like him!

and Dorian murbled:

>Oh dear - that's rather unfair to poor Mr. Dickens!  I'll grant you he wrote
>some unreadable books; the only reason I didn't throw "A Tale of Two Cities"
>across the room in disgust was that I was reading the Project Gutenberg
>edition.  But I really enjoyed both "Nicholas Nickleby" and "Bleak House".

My mother suggested to me, quite seriously, that the best way to read most
of Dickens' work was the way it was written for: one chapter a month,
re-reading a couple of times during that month and speculating about what
might come next, as though it were coming out in a magazine in serial form.

Minnow