[DWJ] Classic books (was What are you reading?)

Jane Scarlett mail at janescarlett.com
Tue Nov 3 17:21:41 EST 2009

I'm not sure whether blind prejudice is the same as not liking, but I
certainly love Thackeray:-)  Vanity Fair is high on my re-reading list, as
soon as I can find a copy with a font size bigger than 6.  Becky Sharpe and
Dinah Morris (Adam Bede) are my role models in life (which has just left me
totally confused!)

Trouble with classic books is there are such a lot of them once you start...

Jane

> Jane said...
>
>> Can't face Dickens though - I'm convinced by
>> never having read even a sentence that I won't like him!

I've heard a theory that people who don't like Dickens tend to like
Thackeray, and vice versa. I like Dickens quite a lot, and Thackeray off and

on.

Charlotte Bronte thought Thackeray was brilliant, as is well known. I can't
remember if she ever said anything about Dickens at all.

Helen Schinske