[DWJ] What are you reading?

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Nov 3 14:39:43 EST 2009

On Nov 2, 2009, at 12:16 PM, deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

> I'm curious what people are reading.

Hmmm.

Unseen Academicals by Terry Pratchett.  I read it as soon as it
arrived in the USofA.  [Explanatory note:  Yes, I know it was
published in the USofA at the same time.  However, I've been
buying English editions for a number of years -- I hated Kirby
and I love Kidby -- so they have to come by raft or whale mail
or whatever.  Yes, I should order from Canada.  They'd get
here faster.]

My partner gave me an
MP3 player for Christmas and it included a trial membership in
Audible, to which I am now totally addicted.  I deliver papers
for a couple of hours in the middle of the night and that's usually
the only time I listen to it.  So I'm listening to Unseen Academicals
at the moment.

[I actually listened to an unabridged version of _War and Peace_
this summer - it must have taken more than a month.  I've read
the book several times, so it wasn't confusing at all.]

On the recommendation of an acquaintance I tried the Farseer
Trilogy by Robin Hobb, but was unable to make it past the
middle of the second book.  [I did a little strategic peeking in
the third book, though.]

I'm trying to get through _HP and the Deathly Hallows_.  [I looked
at the end of this the first time I saw it in a store.]  I don't care
for JK Rowling, but I thought I might as well tune into the zeitgeist
or whatever.  I gave up buying her books after the third [which was
at least one too late], than which no action of mine can be more
damning.

Yesterday I went to the library and took out a bunch of Dr. Seuss and
also some Theo. LeSieg [who is the same person, of course, but the
books are written by him and illustrated by other people].  I've read
Seuss before and own a few -- I got _How the Grinch Stole Christmas_
for Christmas the year it came out -- but a bunch I haven't read and
some I'm not sure about.  Anyway, I'm on a Geisel binge.

Robin McKinley and Peter Dickinson's new book came in the mail
yesterday.  I will probably drop the other fifteen or so books I have
in hand and read it today.