[DWJ] Great Courses was Re: What are you reading?

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Nov 3 14:16:54 EST 2009

On Nov 2, 2009, at 7:55 PM, Elizabeth Parks wrote:

> The Teaching
> Company has the Great Courses series, where they get pretty good
> professors
> to teach a lecture on a certain subject.  ...  I do
> recommend most of them, though, especially anything by Robert
> Bucholz or
> Garret Fagan, and especially especially John McWhorter's courses on
> language.

Yay John McWhorter!  I am now a diehard fan thanks to the Great Courses.

The ones on the history of science are good, too, by Lawrence Principe
[who also did an excellent one on Science and Religion] and Frederick
Gregory.  I haven't tried the ones on 20th C science.

Peter Saccio is good on Shakespeare.

If you're a McWhorter fan, you will probably not want to bother with
_The History of the English Language_, particularly if you have read
McWhorter's _Our Magnificent Bastard Tongue_.  History of the English
Language has a few moments, but not enough.

The problem with the Great Courses is that if you dislike the lecturing
style of the professor, the course suffers severely.  [Well, that's
always
the case, right?]  There's an otherwise interesting course on World
History that I can't even listen to anymore, and a course on the History
of China I couldn't even get through once.

Mornings are a delusion of the
planet bound.