[DWJ] What are you reading?

carrie at pitofdespair.org carrie at pitofdespair.org
Tue Nov 3 13:47:22 EST 2009

Speaking of Telemakos, The Sunbird by Elizabeth Wein has been my favourite book
this year.  It's set in 6th century Ethiopia (then Askum), with some
connections to Arthurian England.  When plague sweeps around the world, the
borders of Askum are shut down in an attempt to keep it out.  Young Telemakos
becomes a spy for the king, trying to find out who is risking the country by
trading with the outside world.  It's beautifully told and mostly a fun tale,
although it does get a bit harrowing towards the end.  This was a few months
ago, so I don't recall exactly why it grabbed me, but it really made an
impression.  It's not the first book in the series, but it is the easiest to
get hold of, and I found it fine as a starting point.

More recently I tore through Robin Hobb's Assassin and Fool trilogies and I'm
now re-reading the Father Brown mysteries.

Caroline