[DWJ] What are you reading?

Jennifer Rowland janamouse at hotmail.com
Tue Nov 3 07:00:24 EST 2009

Deborah wrote:

> I'm curious what people are reading.

I'm not reading much new SFF or YA at the moment- not avoiding them, but I've felt like re-reading Bujold, and some mysteries, and biographies of comedians, and history, and things. (I was surprised to find myself liking a mystery by Jill Paton Walsh and couldn't quite work out why it was a surprise, and have now realised that the only one of hers I've previously read was Thrones, Dominations, which of course wasn't going to give a good picture of her original stuff.)
Loved Goldacre's Bad Science, but then I would, wouldn't I.

I find many of Dickens' novels boring, but love his journalism, and
Sketches by Boz, a mixture of short factual and fictional pieces.

I finally read Pratchett's Nation and Hardinge's Verdigris Deep and really enjoyed both; also Maureen McHugh's Mission Child. I've just finished Cherryh's Wave Without A Shore, too, and found it unexpectedly hard to get into- I think it's that I didn't want to spend time with a prick like the protagonist! Once it became clear that he was like that because the society is pathological, it was as gripping as hers usually are.
Jennifer