[DWJ] What are you reading?

Mon Nov 2 23:19:46 EST 2009

On Mon, 2 Nov 2009 14:16:25 -0500 (EST), deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:

>I'm curious what people are reading. Me, mostly I'm caught up
>with the materials I'm reading for class, but it's been so long
>since we had a good general book discussion that I'm not sure
>what we've talked about. I'm pretty sure we have never talked
>about Jellicoe Road, and I'd really love to know if other people
>read that one.

I am reading--nothing, actually.  I go through these phases where I am
positively afraid to begin reading anything with profound emotional impact
for fear it will take over my whole life.  It happens.  So I had _Jellicoe
Road_ on my shelf for a bit before it went back to the library, and neither
_Fire_ nor _Catching Fire_ has been read, ditto the third Alcatraz book...I
blame October and a five-week period of doing nothing but costumes.

Mostly, I've been re-reading things with an eye to a new experience.  In
particular I enjoyed _The Barsoom Project_, book two of the Dream Park
novels by Larry Niven and Steven Barnes.  It is mainly a murder mystery, but
the primary subplot is about weight: how we feel about it, how we gain or
lose it, etc.  I like that all the different characters have different body
types and different attitudes towards their bodies.  Plus, it's always fun
to imagine a place where you could LARP in a fully immersive and reactive
environment.

I started a blog as an extension of my reading journal; it's much easier for
me to type than handwrite, so I don't feel the need to shorten an entry for
the sake of my poor aching hands.  Of course, then I didn't keep up with it
for, that's right, all of October.  If anyone is interested, it's at
www.janessafari.com (it's there if you're not interested, too).  :)

I hope your course is going well, Deborah.  I read _The Shadow Speaker_
based on your class list and liked it very much.  That reminds me that the
other thing I'm doing for the new year (aside from keeping up my blog) is
starting to read from a list of Classic Books I've Never Read But Probably
Should Have.  The idea is based on a reading group an acquaintance of mine
is in; they read English (I think just English, might be English-language)
novels that are commonly regarded as classics that the group members never
actually read in school.  I don't think you can really create a definitive
list of must-reads, and the idea is *definitely* not that one cannot be
well-read without having experienced these books, but there are plenty of
novels I've never read and it would be nice to have some sort of guideline
for choosing them.  (My list is probably going to be packed with Dickens,
for whom I developed an early distaste that intellectually I know is
ridiculous, but the feeling is still strong.)  So if anyone's interested in
posting, say, a list of ten classic novels that changed your life, I'd be
glad of the input.

Melissa Proffitt