[DWJ] What are you reading?

jodel at aol.com jodel at aol.com
Mon Nov 2 21:17:21 EST 2009

Ah. I was beginning to wonder whether I'd fallen off the mailing list
again. Good to know that everyone's just been busy.

I've been having my brain eaten by the new hobby zombie, so I don't
know how much use I'm going to be for a while. But what I've been
*reading* is the last two books in Sherwood Smith's Inda saga.

I'm finding it very well done. Of course she's been writing in this
world (and, so far as I know, never managed to work her way out of it
apart from serving time in packager gulch and a couple of Oz books)
since she was about 8. But this particular set of adventures is major a
historical period for most of the rest of her work.

Some of her juvinelania I've read recently as well. Even though she
admits to having cleaned it up somewhat before publication, it's
remarkably good storytelling for someone who was maybe in her
early-middle teens when she originally wrote it. But it runs on 'kid
logic' which makes it a bit hard to connect with when the reader is
absolutely *not* a kid.

The Inda story is quite mature work, however. In fact I get the
impression that she's been working up to writing this sequence for the
past 40 years.

I recommend it, but not to anyone in a hurry. Its four books of about
600 pages each.

Book 1. Inda
Book 2. The Fox
Book 3. King's Shield