[DWJ] Teaching Dark Lord again

Jackie E Stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Mon Nov 2 21:04:54 EST 2009

steal away!  I'm sure that I stole from your ideas the last time we
talked about this!  (Paperbag princess in particular!)

If you are doing Sabriel in a children's lit course, you probably
couldn't pair it up with Dirty Job, which is pretty clearly an "adult
book."  In the Childhood and the Fantastic course, I'm mixing in adult
texts that deal with childhood.  For example, Connie Willis has a great
short story called "And Come From Miles Around" which is about childhood
and motherhood in relation to science.  Hmm, putting it like that doesn't
even begin to convey how fabulous a little gem it is.  It's about how
moms and kids are dismissed and invisible, but can be much better
observers than scientists who pride themselves on their ability to see.
In Dirty Job, we find that death has... well, minions I suppose who are
ordinary people until they get the bony tap on the shoulder.  To say
anymore than that would spoil it.  But it's a very, very strange and
funny book about death and what a dirty job it is.

I definitely need to read Coraline.  It's on my bedside table (well,
really on the huge pile that has spilled out of the bedside bookcase) and
I plan to get to it soon.  I haven't read House with a Clock in its Walls
for a long time, but remember liking it.

I'll be interested to hear how Sabriel goes!!

Jackie