[DWJ] RE :Fire and Hemlock - help please!

Emma Comerford comerford.emma at gmail.com
Sun May 31 07:12:41 EDT 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 7:39 PM, Farah Mendlesohn <farah.sf at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/5/27 Dorian E. Gray <dorianegray at gmail.com>
>
> > Minnow said...
> >
> >  As I understand it those books were very carefully chosen by the author
> of
> >> F&H for their content.  Perhaps *The Little White Horse* doesn't quite
> >> carry the same message as *Henrietta's House*.
> >>

> > This is, in fact, overtly stated in F&H, towards the end - I think on
> > Laurel's train; Polly says something about not understanding and Tom says
> "I
> > sent you enough books about it."  So yes, there must be something
> specific
> > about "Henrietta's House" that "The Little White Horse" doesn't have, in
> > this context.
> > \
>

> Hi, I go through every book in the final chapter of my book. They come in
> clusters and each cluster focuses on something different. I actually read
> the lot. They make a fine Intro Writer's course.
>
> Maybe one day we shoudl start a book group here, going through the books,
> one by one?
>
> cheers
> Farah

As a child, I always felt vaguely guilty that I didn't love most of the
books upon the F&H list (the Nesbits and the Lewis are the exceptions). So
hearing that they were chosen for their messages rather than as exemplars of
the best children's fiction is comforting. Even if it was obvious that was
the case!

Seeing as I only read <i>One hundred and one dalmations</i> and
<i>Henrietta's House</i> in the last few years I wish I had remembered they
were in the F&H box so I could have read them with that in mind. I want to
read your chapter to see what you thought the links were, Farah!

Emma