[DWJ] The Treasure Seekers

Helen Schinske hschinske at aol.com
Thu May 28 18:35:37 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kathleen Jennings" <kathleen.jennings at gmail.com>
To: "Diana Wynne Jones discussion" <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Thursday, May 28, 2009 3:19 PM
Subject: Re: [DWJ] The Treasure Seekers

> Well, *I* liked the Bastables! The Treasure-seekers, anyway. I was
> never particularly fond of the Would-be-goods. But I liked the voice
> of the treasure-seekers, and their ideas and adventures and the
> trouble they got into, and I'm never sure if that's because it
> reflected some of the things we got up to in our childhood or because
> it inspired them!

I do remember being disappointed that the Bastable books weren't magic, and
taking longer to get to like them (in the end I got very fond of them), but
in general the children seemed much like the children in the magic books,
only a little more fully described. The naivete and self-centeredness are
just as present in all Nesbit's children, seems to me. I know one of the
children, probably Alice, breaks down and cries about their never doing
anything right, and it seemed to me a much darker statement than Nesbit
probably meant it to be. I remember that worry that I could never possibly
manage being a grown-up, given that I was making such a hash of being a
child, and it was very real.

Helen Schinske