[DWJ] E Goudge

sally at sallyodgers.com sally at sallyodgers.com
Thu May 28 08:55:12 EDT 2009

What IS it with Elizabeth Goudge? "Four children, mother dead, father in
India..." OK, that's a cliche, but it probably wasn't when the book Linnets
and Valerians was written. I wanted to love that, and the Little White
Horse, but I just never could. So what IS it? Did anyone else find it
unbelievable that Maria (I think) never noticed the "dog" wasn't a dog? No
doubt that had some kind of allegorical purpose, but I just didn't buy it
for an instant. I read it as a child, too, I think - well, as a junior teen,
maybe. I think Eleanor Farjeon had a touch of the same fey quality about
some of her work, though I do love "Faithful Jenny Dove".

Now DWJ, I buy what SHE tells me, but she's never fey. Only fiendish.

Sally O