[DWJ] Fire and Hemlock - help please!

Elizabeth Evans er.evans at auckland.ac.nz
Tue May 26 19:28:31 EDT 2009

Hallie gave us another list:

Then there are the ones sent while Tom's on tour, the first parcel
being:
'Kipling's Kim, The War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells, The Man Who Was
Thursday by G.K. Chesterton, and Perilandra by C. S. Lewis.  After that
he
sends The Napoleon of Notting Hill, The Thirty-nine Steps, Tom's
Midnight
Garden and The Oxford Book of Ballads.

The Golden Bough is the one that makes Ivy send Polly to Bristol.

Most of these are more grown-up, aren't they? I've had a stab at 'Kim'
and 'Perelandra' and not managed to finish either. I've read Tom's
Midnight Garden and the Thirty-Nine Steps, but not the others. Does
Perilandra's mis-spelling carry a hidden message? - it's a long long
time since I've read F&H and I've forgotten the context.

Regards
Elizabeth.