[DWJ] Fire and Hemlock - help please!

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue May 26 19:16:12 EDT 2009

Kathleen wrote:

>I've read them all except Henrietta's House, and I may never forgive
>Masefield for the end of The Box of Delights.

I agree very strongly about that one.  After the wonderful Midnight Folk
(incidentally someone once produced a hideous abridged version only they
give no warning, and the first one  knows about it is when the whole bit
about not liking lunch "and no contentment therewith" is reduced to the
bald sentence "Kay did not like his guardian" -- urgh!  Avoid at all
costs!) I was so pleased to find that he had written another about Kay, and
read it with dawning disappointment.  I knew it wasn't and couldn't be
true, in a way that I could reasonably doubt with the MF, from the moment
that the female child (Maria?) was depicted as carrying a pistol: she
simply would not have done, and I knew it, because I knew that the
grown-ups would have confiscated it.  After that, and then all those
ridiculous kidnapped clergy that I knew had never happened, the filthy "and
then he woke up and it was all a dream" was almost, though not quite, a
relief.

Minnow