[DWJ] The Treasure Seekers

Minnow minnow at belfry.org.uk
Tue May 26 18:42:11 EDT 2009

I wrote

>> For a long time as a child I thought the E in Nesbit must be for Edward or
>> Eric, because clearly the first-person author of Oswald must be male.

and Kathleen mentioned

>I think E Nesbit cameos in The Treasure Seekers as the lady Oswald and
>(one of the brothers) meet on the way to the newspaper offices.

Oooh!  Thank you!  Next time I read it I will look out for that.

But back when I was six...  I didn't know about cameos unless the author
said so, as Beatrix Potter does about Samuel Whiskers taking her
wheelbarrow after he had said "let us take our possessions -- and other
people's -- and leave at once" and there was a picture of I think her back
view while the rats did their flit.  It wouldn't have occurred to me that
an author might be in a book without saying so.  I was innocent in those
days.

Minnow