[DWJ] Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell [the audiobook]

Kait Bessing kait.bessing at comhem.se
Wed May 20 04:57:42 EDT 2009

In Sweden too there are talking-books that you borrow from the library. They
may NOT be purchased or sold, and may only be lent to people whose medical
condition warrant it (people with visual disabilities, dyslexic people, and
people who can't hold a book or turn pages, for instance).

By an exception (not the correct word, but I can't remember what it should
be) in the copyright law, such books are produced without any payment to the
authors or publishers, as otherwise they would be too expensive to produce.
That's why all the restrictions about not selling them. They are read by
professional readers, not by volunteers.

Audio books differ from talking-books in that they are bought and sold, they
provide payment to authors etc, and they are often read by professional
actors.

Kait