[DWJ] Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell [the audiobook]

Helen Schinske hschinske at aol.com
Fri May 8 16:11:31 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kait Bessing" <kait.bessing at comhem.se>
To: "Diana Wynne Jones discussion" <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Friday, May 08, 2009 12:37 PM
Subject: Re: [DWJ] Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell [the audiobook]

> Helen Schinske wrote:
>>I could
>> *maybe* see this kind of thing being let >go when it's a volunteer
>> reading for Books for the Blind or >something like that.
>
> And why should blind people be expected to put up with lower standards of
> reading?

They shouldn't -- but the charity I'm thinking of couldn't possibly afford
to pay professional readers, so the clients put up with lower production
standards in order to get a vastly wider selection of materials than would
otherwise be available. I do know at least one volunteer who used to read
for them who has a very charming voice -- I could listen to her all day. She
was in my mother's writers' group, and the other women used to joke that
Mary shouldn't get to read her own stuff aloud, as it made her sound so much
better than the rest of them that it was harder to figure out what to
critique.

Talking books are so much more popular these days that I imagine there is a
much better commercial selection, so that volunteers may be less needed. I
am only guessing there, though.

Helen Schinske