[DWJ] Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell [the audiobook]

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Wed May 6 03:25:32 EDT 2009

I tried reading this once before, and didn't get very far.

I'm now listening to it as an audiobook [unabridged]
and am well over half through.  On the whole, I'm enjoying
it a great deal.

However --

Every so often Simon Prebble, the reader, pronounces a word
differently than I expect.  Usually I'm willing to believe in his good
faith

but

confronted with the _daoine sidhe_ he pronounces the words
as spelled [and he is not someone who can read Irish].
"Sidhe" comes out as "sid-hay".  Okay.  _That's_ indefensible
ignorance.

[I was able to figure out what he probably meant, and looked
  it up in the copy I have out of the library at the moment,
  which is how I know that the first word was "daoine".]