[DWJ] Horse fantasies

Jackie E Stallcup jstallcup at juno.com
Wed Jun 24 20:24:10 EDT 2009

Well, to me, horse books don't have to be about the horses per se.  After
all, once Dick Francis really got into his stride (to use a horsey
metaphor), he branched out to detectives and bankers and horse truck
drivers and artists....  Horses are around the edges but not the main
focus.

My problem with the Peyton books was not that the focus was no longer on
the horses, but that the character went from being horse crazy to
completely not caring about her horses and only liking this icky boy.
That was, I think, the first in the Pennington books and well, all I can
say is UGH.  To be fair, I think I was mentally escaping from something
when I was reading the Peyton horse books, and the Pennington book was
like a big ol' bucket of cold water over my little escapist fantasy
world.

Anyway, books where horses are just kind of part of the landscape and get
dealt with realistically (they have to be groomed, how do you get one to
wait for you outside the store, etc) sound like a lot of fun.

Thanks for the tips!

Jackie