[DWJ] Horse fantasies

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Tue Jun 23 09:03:49 EDT 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, Elizabeth Parks wrote:
> True. . . but there are a lot of other books that are pretty much the
> same as horse books, only without horses.
> ... in which a powerless and insecure
> adolescent develops a Very Special Relationship with a powerful being
> who, by choosing said adolescent to develop a Special Relationship
> with, grants power to that adolescent and/or helps that adolescent
> discover her (or his, in the Black Stallion, for example) own power.
> I think it manifests in horses a lot because horses are kind of like
> the Jonas Brothers: big but nonthreatening.
>
> I still think that Twilight is a horse book :)

*wipes tears of laughter from our eyes*

You know, that makes the book so much less disturbing. Or more. I
haven't decided.

I admit, I was a Pernish firelizard girl, not a horse girl, or
not for long. Although my bookish obsession in that age was for
World War II and Holocaust books, so go figure.

-deborah