[DWJ] Horse fantasies

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Tue Jun 23 01:31:49 EDT 2009

I totally fell for the horses during my fourth grade year. I wonder if in
part this was because we were living in the USA that year and horses were
almost accessible. I took several horseback riding lessons during the
summer, including lessons in mucking out and cleaning hooves and such, and I
don't remember this dampening my enthusiasm one whit. But then the next year
in Israel it kinda wore off, and I wonder if that was because in Israel the
prospect of horseback riding lessons was completely out of the question and
because I had no peers who were into horses, or because I simply outgrew
them. I was also crazy about unicorns, starting at least in third grade, but
that too wore off. And I read all the horse books: "My Friend Flicka", "The
Black Stallion: series, "Born to Trot", something I reread several times
called "Black Penny" and countless others that all seem to blend into a haze
of general horsiness and misunderstood rural pre-adolescence.

ObDWJ: DWJ does not strike me as a particularly horsey kind of author. The
only horse I can think of is the one in "Fire and Hemlock" who is not half
as fleshed out as the car that succeeds him.

Oh, and: loved Labyrinth, was creeped out by David Bowie and disliked the
dream sequence.