[DWJ] Horse fantasies

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 00:49:55 EDT 2009

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 10:35 PM, Jenny
Schwartzberg<schwartzbergj at newberry.org> wrote:

> I know there's a ton of girls' books with horses out there, but there were also a lot of girls who never got into horses either.
>
> Jenny

True. . . but there are a lot of other books that are pretty much the
same as horse books, only without horses.  Anne McCaffrey's
Dragonriders of Pern, for example: in which a powerless and insecure
adolescent develops a Very Special Relationship with a powerful being
who, by choosing said adolescent to develop a Special Relationship
with, grants power to that adolescent and/or helps that adolescent
discover her (or his, in the Black Stallion, for example) own power.
I think it manifests in horses a lot because horses are kind of like
the Jonas Brothers: big but nonthreatening.

I still think that Twilight is a horse book :)

But then Howl and Sophie have some of that, as do quite a few romance
novels, so. . .

I always liked horses better in books than in real life, in part
because of the smell and in part because of the hard hat.  I would
have much preferred one of the dragons from Pern to a horse . . . or a
vampire.  But I would prefer Howl to all three ;)

lizzie