[DWJ] Horse fantasies

Jenny Schwartzberg schwartzbergj at newberry.org
Tue Jun 23 00:35:20 EDT 2009

 I'm a city girl and I never fantasized about horses.  My parents took me to the Farm in the Zoo at Lincoln Park Zoo when I was very young.  I saw horses and cows and pigs, and once even rode a camel.  They were all very smelly animals.  I never got into horses.  I went to summer camp when I was 8 and hated the required horseback riding lessons.  The smell ended up making me actually sick so I got permission not to take any more riding lessons from the head of the camp.

I know there's a ton of girls' books with horses out there, but there were also a lot of girls who never got into horses either.

Jenny