[DWJ] short complete quest fantasies

Katarina Hjärpe katarina.hjarpe at gmail.com
Tue Jun 23 00:20:16 EDT 2009

>> I still haven't quite figured out the attraction to horses, though. Very
>> early, it seems to be about cuteness, and a bit later on, it's about power,
>> and rippling muscles, and love, or maybe covetousness.  Has anyone written a
>> paper on girls<-->horses?
>>

> I should perhaps re-tone-ify the above, Lest There be Misunderstandings,
> And People Begin To Think I'm Peculiar.  Love in the sense of passion,
> obsession, and general fangirlishness, but not romance.  Well, maybe a
> sublimation of romance, a girl's first crush, but not, you know *Romance*.
>  Capital-R.(*)
>
> Are the horse obsessions of young females an American thing?

Definitely not an American thing. There's a whole bunch of Swedish
horse-book writers, and I devoured those books at age seven or so, though I
wasn't allowed to take riding lessons. (Which would support Margaret's
assumption that it's the ignorant who are horse-obsessed, except that the
girls in school who did get to take riding lessons were obsessed too.)

As for why - well, the cuteness was definitely part of at least *my* dreams;
I've always been nuts about animals. Power too, yes, controlling such a
large animal. (And apparently horse girls grow up to be stronger leaders, so
damn my parents for forbidding those lessons! *g*) Attention - the girls in
those books were in competitions and won things, which is always a pleasant
dream. And community - the girls made friends, and had some teacher or other
who saw their potential, and so on. (That it was a largely female world was
perhaps an extra allure to me, in a very boy-heavy class.)

Katta