[DWJ] short complete quest fantasies

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Tue Jun 23 00:16:19 EDT 2009

On Jun 22, 2009, at 8:25 PM, Margaret Ball wrote:

>> Are the horse obsessions of young females an American thing?
>>
>> Mark A.
> I think they're a thing of young females who don't have any actual
> experience
> of how much work it is to take care of large animals. I was the
> only girl in
> fifth grade who didn't want a horse; I was also the only one who
> had four
> living grandparents with two working farms.

Although young females who have horses do an amazing amount
of mucking out and so forth....

And to quote Sir Terry Pratchett in _Soul Music_:

   There is a type of girl who, while incapable of cleaning her room
even
   at knifepoint, will fight for the privilege of being allowed to
spend the
   day shovelling [sic] manure in a stable.

And I also point out that Her Royal Highness Princess Anne, the Princess
Royal*, competed in the Montreal Olympics as part of the UK's
equestrian team.  [And she was the only contestant who was not required
to have a sex test.] [Although I'm not claiming that she shoveled a lot
of manure.]

* not positive I've got the titles in the right order.

I’ve learned that you can tell a lot about a
person by the way they handle these three
things: a rainy day, lost luggage, & tangled
Christmas tree lights!

                               —writer Maya Angelou