[DWJ] short complete quest fantasies

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Mon Jun 22 14:11:23 EDT 2009

shawyer at mail.utexas.edu wrote:

>>> OMG yes.  A friend of mine says "I hit puberty to that movie"
>>> which I think is a pretty accurate representation of how lots of
>>> tween girls at the time felt about David Bowie, Androdgynous King
>>> of the Glam-Goblins.
>>
>> Oh yeah, *goblins*.  Not fairies.  I think fairies Are Generally
>> Regarded As hating goblins.
>>
>> Mark Allums
>>
>> (Deeply embarrassed by the thought of girls hitting puberty as a result
>> of viewing David Bowie in tights.  Or any costume whatsoever.  Do not
>> want to Go There.  The horses and unicorns thing is bad enough.)
>>

> Oh dear, Mark. I'm afraid there is a whole generation of young ladies
> who had that experience. *waves hand*
> It is not just the tights, although they do contribute. It is the whole
> narrative arc of refusing to grow up/wanting to grow up as well as the
> temptation dream scene in which Sarah wears the ball gown/bridal gown.
> Also, the Goblin King's overall androgyny (tights notwithstanding) helps
> temper fear of the Other/male.
> I do not want to further your embarrassment, as you seem like a nice
> person, but I did want to say that, in my experience and from talking to
> other female fans, it seems fairly common that Labyrinth was a watershed
> adolescent moment.

Well, I must confess, I secretly have some amusement about it, as well.

Early adolescence in boys is comparatively simple.  During puberty, I
suddenly became aware that Girls Are Different, and that about sums it up.

I still haven't quite figured out the attraction to horses, though.
Very early, it seems to be about cuteness, and a bit later on, it's
about power, and rippling muscles, and love, or maybe covetousness.  Has
anyone written a paper on girls<-->horses?

Mark A.