[DWJ] short complete quest fantasies

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Mon Jun 22 12:49:42 EDT 2009

On Mon, 22 Jun 2009, shawyer at mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> Quoting Mark Allums <mark at allums.com>:
>>
>> (Deeply embarrassed by the thought of girls hitting puberty as a result
>> of viewing David Bowie in tights.  Or any costume whatsoever.  Do not
>> want to Go There.  The horses and unicorns thing is bad enough.)
>>

> Oh dear, Mark. I'm afraid there is a whole generation of young ladies who had
> that experience. *waves hand*
> It is not just the tights, although they do contribute. It is the whole
> narrative arc of refusing to grow up/wanting to grow up as well as the
> temptation dream scene in which Sarah wears the ball gown/bridal gown. Also,
> the Goblin King's overall androgyny (tights notwithstanding) helps temper fear
> of the Other/male.

ObDWJ, but I do have to wonder if there is any relationship
between this particular (boy-oriented but hardly heteronormative)
young lady fetish and the widespread crush on Howl, always
wandering around in his glammy suits and his sparkling hair.
Which begs a fascinating question about Sophie's aging as opposed
to Sarah's refusal to grow up -- if only I had room to talk about
this in *my* paper. ;)

-deborah