[DWJ] short complete quest fantasies

shawyer at mail.utexas.edu shawyer at mail.utexas.edu
Mon Jun 22 11:44:36 EDT 2009

Quoting Mark Allums <mark at allums.com>:
>>> Are you familiar with Labyrinth?
>>
>> OMG yes.  A friend of mine says "I hit puberty to that movie"
>> which I think is a pretty accurate representation of how lots of
>> tween girls at the time felt about David Bowie, Androdgynous King
>> of the Glam-Goblins.
>
> Oh yeah, *goblins*.  Not fairies.  I think fairies Are Generally
> Regarded As hating goblins.
>
> Mark Allums
>
> (Deeply embarrassed by the thought of girls hitting puberty as a result
> of viewing David Bowie in tights.  Or any costume whatsoever.  Do not
> want to Go There.  The horses and unicorns thing is bad enough.)

Oh dear, Mark. I'm afraid there is a whole generation of young ladies
who had that experience. *waves hand*
It is not just the tights, although they do contribute. It is the
whole narrative arc of refusing to grow up/wanting to grow up as well
as the temptation dream scene in which Sarah wears the ball
gown/bridal gown. Also, the Goblin King's overall androgyny (tights
notwithstanding) helps temper fear of the Other/male.
I do not want to further your embarrassment, as you seem like a nice
person, but I did want to say that, in my experience and from talking
to other female fans, it seems fairly common that Labyrinth was a
watershed adolescent moment.