[DWJ] short complete quest fantasies

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 07:30:20 EDT 2009

2009/6/21 Gili Bar-Hillel <gbhillel at netvision.net.il>

> No no, I was perfectly aware of lifting the phrase from "The Hobbit". I
> meant if you have a reference for where "there and back again" is used by
> critics to describe a genre or sub-genre.

It's used so much I don't know where to go looking. I know I used it in
Rhetorics, but it isn't indexed. Clute uses it. It may be in Tolkien's On
Fairy Tales.

it really is a terribly common description of a particular kind of fantasy
in which going and coming back is the point, and the Great and Terrible
Deeds somehow pale into the moment of Return (and that is genuine Clute, see
the encycloped of fantasy, under Full Fantasy).

But Tolkien was a critic, and the Hobbit is one of the great critical texts
in a field where there are more fictional critical texts, than non-fiction.

cheers
farah