[DWJ] short complete quest fantasies

Farah Mendlesohn farah.sf at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 05:03:53 EDT 2009

2009/6/21 Mark Allums <mark at allums.com>

> I dispute that.  Go ahead and read the book.

I have read the book many times. I have taught the book. I have written on
it. I have also written a *lot* on quest fantasies generally, and many of
those recommended so far here do not fit my definition or that of most
fantasy critics--they lack the epic, they lack the structure or they lack
world shattering significance. A quest fantasy is not the same thing as what
Geoffrey Trease termed a Treasure Hunt. I'd say The Wizard of Oz is a lot
closer to the Treasure Hunt model.

But despite my disagreement with people I would not dream of suggesting that
they have not read the books which they are recommending or arguing against.

Farah