[DWJ] short complete quest fantasies

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Sun Jun 21 04:28:22 EDT 2009

My two cents:
1. often the first book in a series or trilogy aheres most closely to the
portal/quest formula, sequels tend to have less complete patterns
2. movie adaptations of books tend to be more formulaic than the books
themselves
3. the better the book, the more it strays off formula, or deliberately
subverts a formula. So if you're looking for a book to perfectly demonstrate
a formula, you might actually prefer looking at mediocre books... I say go
for "Eragon".

With that in mind, here are some books that definitely reflect the formula,
even though most of them are too good to stick to it consistently: "The Lion
the Witch and the Wardrobe",  "The Wizard of Oz", "The Hobbit", "Peter and
Wendy", "The Water Babies", "The Neverending Story", "James and the Giant
Peach", "The Phantom Tollbooth", "Haroun and the Sea of Stories", "So You'd
Like to be a Wizard"...

One book which could have served you perfectly had it been in print or
obtainable is "The Amazing Land of Wew" by John G. Kaufer, an old book from
the 1950's. Searching for it on the internet I found several places where I
myself had written about it, over a decade ago. Boy is it creepy reading and
having no recollection of having written what I once wrote...