[DWJ] short complete quest fantasies

Chris Dollin eh at electrichedgehog.net
Sun Jun 21 03:56:30 EDT 2009

On Saturday 20 June 2009, Alina wrote:

> What about the Riddlemaster trilogy by Patricia McKillip?

It'saspendidtrilogyandeverybodyshouldreaditbut .... deborah asked
for:

>> a Boy (who is potentially a girl) leaves his humble beginnings,

Tick, for some value of "humble". (Morgon is the Prince of Hed,
but that seems to be more of an honourary title.)

>> gathers together a troop of Companions,

Well, not really; his friends don't become a "troop", I'd say, and
they don't wander around en-masse with him.

>> hits every place on the Map,

Pretty much; tick.

>> and defeats the Dark Lord.

There's no Dark Lord. There are Bad Guys but no Dark Lord. [1]

I think it would make a good /contrast/ with the Epic Fantasy
Quest stereotype, but Deborah has Dark Lord for that.

[1] One could construct a different interpretation in which there
    /is/ a Dark Lord, but if you were to do so, he wins, not loses.

--
Far-Fetched Hedgehog
"No-one here is exactly what he appears." G'kar, /Babylon 5/