[DWJ] short complete quest fantasies

Dorian E. Gray dorianegray at gmail.com
Sat Jun 20 16:12:32 EDT 2009

Deborah asked...

> I'm calling on the brilliant list hive mind for help with my
> fantasy syllabus. I'd really like to assign my students one
> entire epic quest fantasy from beginning to end, in which a Boy
> (who is potentially a girl) leaves his humble beginnings, gathers
> together a troop of Companions, hits every place on the Map, and
> defeats the Dark Lord. I'd like to assign that entire thing in
> one week, and realistically I can't ask them to read more than
> three books in one week unless they are very brief (i.e.
> picturebooks, easy readers, or early chapter books). But I'm
> finding that most of the complete quest fantasy series I can
> think of are pretty long. Can you folks come up with any decent
> quests that are three books or less? One book would be even
> better. :-)

Hm.  Failing the Belgariad, maybe Eddings' "The Redemption of Althalus"?

Also, it's years since I read it, but maybe the first Shannara trilogy by
Terry Brooks?  I have a vague memory that that was a pretty stereotypical
Quest Fantasy.

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
dorianegray at gmail.com
http://dorianegray.livejournal.com

"Mr. Crossley is glad-eyed. He thinks everyone should be upright and
honourable and interested in Geography."
- Diana Wynne Jones, "Witch Week"