[DWJ] short complete quest fantasies

jodel at aol.com jodel at aol.com
Sat Jun 20 15:20:32 EDT 2009

It's old (1967). It may not be still in print.

'The Great and Terrible Quest' by Margaret Lovett

It is your plain-vanilla heroic quest in miniature. Young boy who is
brought up among a band of robbers, under the domination of his wicked
grandfather (who pretends to be a wizard), discovers a wounded man in
the woods and tries to help him. While his grandfather is away on
business, they escape and make their way across the kingdom in disguise
trying to get to the royal City before the old King dies.

The title is a phrase that the wounded man murmurs during his fever and
has no memory of when he wakes, and it catches the boy's imagination.
Their "quest" is complicated by the fact that his guide has lost most
of his memory and is left with only scraps and a strong sense of
urgency.

It's a good, old-fashioned children's novel aimed at the 8-12 range.
The tale hits all of the high spots of a standard quest fantasy, except
that for all I can tell it isn't actually a fantasy. There are standard
fantasy elements. But there is no indication that magic actually exists
in this world -- although people believe it does. Or at least that it
might.

Actually, the scale of the story is such that I think it would make a
cracking good film.