[DWJ] short complete quest fantasies

Mark Allums mark at allums.com
Sat Jun 20 13:48:45 EDT 2009

deborah.dwj at suberic.net wrote:
> On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Mark Allums wrote:
>
>> I can only think of movies, e.g., The Labyrinth.
>
> Movies is a good idea, although since it's only my second year
> teaching I'm still feeling very nervous about branching out to
> other forms of media. Still, it's worth contemplating.

I confess, I am not well-read, even at the child's level.  Are you
familiar with Labyrinth?  Teen girl who likes fantasy stories finds
herself saddled with babysitting.  She foolishly wishes the monsters
would come take the baby away, so they do.  She spends the rest of the
movie overcoming obstacles to recover the child, with the help of allies
she meets along the way.

That reminds me!  The Wizard of Oz.  Both book and good movie.

Mark Allums