[DWJ] short complete quest fantasies

deborah.dwj at suberic.net deborah.dwj at suberic.net
Sat Jun 20 12:31:22 EDT 2009

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Anita Graham wrote:

> Oh, and the Emily Rodda books - Rowan of Rin is the first - are fairly quick
> to read, and have lots of repetitive elements; do you have access to them? I
> wouldn't say they were early readers, but they would follow not long after
> those.

Oh, I've never read those. I will check them out, thanks!

> The first time I read Tough Guide I thought it was a direct response to the
> Belgariad.

Yeah, me too. That's the only series I can think of which so
perfectly fits the pattern.

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Mark Allums wrote:

> I can only think of movies, e.g., The Labyrinth.

Movies is a good idea, although since it's only my second year
teaching I'm still feeling very nervous about branching out to
other forms of media. Still, it's worth contemplating.

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, shawyer at mail.utexas.edu wrote:

> None of these are "quite right" -perhaps because they are only 1 book stories
> it is therefore hard to be EPIC, but:

That's the trick, isn't it? I want to give them a sense of the
EPIC nature of the type and yet I don't want to take up too much
time.

> Neil Gaiman: Stardust (for too mature an audience?)
> Nick Sullivan: The Seventh Princess (which I loved as a child, but has only 2
> major locations, not every place on the map, several companions, evil Dark
> Lord, female heroine from out world)
> Orla Melling (UK/Ireland)/O. R. Melling (Canada): The Hunter's Moon (humble
> teen heroine, companions gathered along the way, lots of traveling through
> Ireland, Dark Lord isn't really that Dark, just playful.)

I don't know any of those except for Stardust, but I will
definitely check them out!

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009, Tina wrote:

> So his next dream pulls Kim into Magic Moon, where he must fly a spaceship,
> disguise himself as a dark warrior, fight dangerous monsters and fantastical
> creatures, and journey ever-onward through forests and mountains to the end of
> the world, only to find out that the answer to saving Rebecca ? and Magic Moon
> ? lies within himself."

"Lies within himself." Of course it does. ;-)

-deborah