[DWJ] DWJ book for 11 year old?

emily whitrod wuffles at live.com.au
Thu Jun 4 19:03:12 EDT 2009

Thanks everyone!

I didn't want to go for some of the other titles (as people have mentioned, they are less accessible and obtainable... while I grew up reading books that were aimed at children at least 20 years older than me, for example Ivan Southall or Ursula Le Guin, if I hadn't been into those books I might not have understood the lanuage used, etc.).

However, my friend actually ended up buying Granny by Anthony Horowitz, and the first Lemony Snickett book. I recommended the Horowitz, but not the Lemony Snickett, apparently the salesperson talked him into buying it. I don't mind the books, but as a child who read voraciously, I always had a great vocabulary, and didn't need some old dude giving me lists of words and meanings while I was trying to enjoy my reading. Apparently they didn't have any DWJ titles in store! :O shock, horror.

Also, I finally received House of Many Ways in the mail yesterday, so I'm pretty excited. I'm only half way through (thanks to a few large assignments and an exam to study for) but it's fairly enjoyable... though I'm noticing similarities to parts of Howl's Moving Castle...

Thanks for your help,
:)
Emily