[DWJ] DWJ book for 11 year old?

Helen Schinske hschinske at aol.com
Thu Jun 4 15:02:16 EDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dorian E. Gray" <dorianegray at gmail.com>
To: "Diana Wynne Jones discussion" <dwj at suberic.net>
Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 11:56 AM
Subject: Re: [DWJ] DWJ book for 11 year old?

> Emily asked...
>
>> A friend was asking me for ideas for good books for a birthday present
>> for a girl who is 11 years old. I immediately wanted to recommend Diana
>> Wynne Jones, but the problem is I don't know what sort of books would be
>> suitable for that age.

The first DWJ I really loved was _Witch Week_, and I still think it's one of
the most accessible. (I read _Power of Three_ first and wasn't wild about
it. I like it better now.) _Dogsbody_ really put me off. _The Ogre
Downstairs_ might do. It's a more conventional goofy-magic story, though,
and a bit more dated than some.

Helen Schinske