[DWJ] DWJ book for 11 year old?

Dorian E. Gray dorianegray at gmail.com
Thu Jun 4 14:56:23 EDT 2009

Emily asked...

> A friend was asking me for ideas for good books for a birthday present for
> a girl who is 11 years old. I immediately wanted to recommend Diana Wynne
> Jones, but the problem is I don't know what sort of books would be
> suitable for that age. When I was in primary school I read Fire and
> Hemlock, but on the other hand I was a bookworm and read almost anything
> thrown at me.
> I was going to suggest the Chrestomanci series, as most of those are
> fairly child friendly. Any other suggestions?

I think the Chrestomanci books are a good choice.

I would think the Howl books would probably go down well at that age too.
And maybe "Power of Three", "Dogsbody", "Drowned Ammet", "The Spellcoats"...

HTH

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
dorianegray at gmail.com
http://dorianegray.livejournal.com

"Mr. Crossley is glad-eyed. He thinks everyone should be upright and
honourable and interested in Geography."
- Diana Wynne Jones, "Witch Week"