[DWJ] DWJ book for 11 year old?

emily whitrod wuffles at live.com.au
Wed Jun 3 23:03:48 EDT 2009

A friend was asking me for ideas for good books for a birthday present for a girl who is 11 years old. I immediately wanted to recommend Diana Wynne Jones, but the problem is I don't know what sort of books would be suitable for that age. When I was in primary school I read Fire and Hemlock, but on the other hand I was a bookworm and read almost anything thrown at me.
I was going to suggest the Chrestomanci series, as most of those are fairly child friendly. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
Emily