[DWJ] Book recommendation

Charlie Butler charles.hannibal at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 12:24:17 EDT 2009

2009/7/16 Helen Schinske <hschinske at aol.com>

> >On the Victoria listserv there was once a series of absurd joking posts
> about Mrs. Gaskell's pet elephant (I've just looked them up -- it was in
> August 2001). Several people were fooled (Mrs. Gaskell did not, in reality,
> possess a living pachyderm of any sort) and quite annoyed.

I'd probably have fallen for that. I'm very gullible/trusting: for proof
whereof, someone once persuaded me that Mick Jagger was Portugese (whereas
we all know that was Elizabeth Barrett Browning). But I *did *know about the
wombat, from reading the notes to "Goblin Market".

Charlie

--
Website: www.charlesbutler.co.uk