[DWJ] Book recommendation

Otter Perry ottertee at silverwinggraphics.com
Thu Jul 16 03:46:56 EDT 2009

On Jul 16, 2009, at 12:30 AM, Farah Mendlesohn wrote:

> For those people who enjoyed Judith Ridge's paper on being an
> Australian
> reader, I must recommend _Rosetti's Wombat_ by John Simmons.
> (Middlesex
> University Press)
>
> Did you know Rosetti had a wombat? Me neither. The book is all
> about the
> craze for Australian animals in Victorian England and it's a hoot!

Of course I knew Rossetti had a wombat.  [Two esses, two tees in
'Rossetti'.]
[I cannot recommend too highly a youth in which one reads Will Cuppy
  obsessively.]

It slept in an epergne, at least occasionally.

A moment with Wikipedia tells me that the epergne wombat was the
first of
two pet wombats he had in his life.

Whenever people say 'We mustn't be sentimental,' you
can take it they are about to do something cruel. And
if they add 'We must be realistic,' they mean they are
going to make money out of it.

                                                - Brigid Brophy