[DWJ] Book recommendation

Judith Ridge judith.ridge at gmail.com
Thu Jul 16 02:37:40 EDT 2009

2009/7/16 Farah Mendlesohn <farah.sf at gmail.com>

> For those people who enjoyed Judith Ridge's paper on being an Australian
> reader, I must recommend _Rosetti's Wombat_ by John Simmons. (Middlesex
> University Press)
>
> Did you know Rosetti had a wombat? Me neither. The book is all about the
> craze for Australian animals in Victorian England and it's a hoot!

 That's a fantastic story, Farah. I always wanted to write it for the
children's magazine I used to work for, but never got around to it. There's
a fantastic image (it may be aprocryphal) of the wombat sleeping in a soup
toureen or something of that nature. (I say likely to be aprocryphal,
because wombats weigh a tonne and would probably have broken any such
receptacle!)
 Poor Australian creatures didn't fare so well in the English climate,
apparently.

Thanks for the reference! (And the mention of my paper.)

Judith

--
Judith Ridge
Western Sydney Young People's Literature Officer

Arts and Cultural Development
Blacktown City Council
PO Box 63
(62 Flushcombe Road)