[DWJ] title guessing Was: author flirting

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 10:56:00 EST 2009

Spoilers for Jane Eyre in case anyone minds. . . .

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 12:34 AM, Irina Rempt <irina at valdyas.org> wrote:

>> Wuthering Heights?
>>
>> (I hate that book.)
>
> Me too, and I have *three* copies of it, two bought (on separate occasions)
> under the mistaken impression that they were Jane Eyre. Fortunately, my
> daughter has now bought her own copy of the real Jane Eyre, which I shall
> borrow as soon as she's finished it.
>
>   Irina

Silly, Jane Eyre would be the Reformed-Meglomanical Bigamist Amputee's
Plain-Jane Heiress Bride, not the Obsessive Jealous Fiend's
Unprincipled Minx.

I got really annoyed at an article on Twilight I came across a few
weeks ago that compared it to Jane Eyre.  I try not to worry too much
about Twilight.  I read the first one, and came to the conclusion that
it is the literary equivalent of Little Debbie chocolate cupcakes.
Crappy, cheap, overly sweet, and not the best example of its type,
but enjoyable anyway and sometimes you just want that sort of thing.
Jane Eyre it is not.   Twilight is like Jane Eyre where it ends at the
wedding, with Jane marrying Rochester despite the madwoman in the
attic (aka the vampirism?).  Thus she never, er, finds her strength
and acheives financial equality, moral righteousness, etc, the things
that in the end of the book make her Rochester's equal and temporary
superior (while he undergoes his own moral trial and is saved, which
is to say is temporarily blind).  (I wrote my undergraduate thesis at
an all women's college on Charlotte Bronte--can you tell?)

DWJ, by the way, writes all kind of yummy desserts that are well made,
with surprising and invigorating twists on classics, and utterly
delicious.

--lizzie