[DWJ] author flirting

Gili Bar-Hillel gbhillel at netvision.net.il
Thu Jan 29 09:23:59 EST 2009

Farah wrote:

>Accusing people of giving quotations on the basis of friendship (or good
reviews for the same reason) is a particularly unpleasant way to attack an
author or a reviewer, and crops up quite regularly.

Imagine how bad the situation is in Israel, where virtually everyone knows
everyone working in the same field. I'm a publisher, and a translator for
other publishers, and many of my friends are in publishing or write or
translate, and for a while I was also a reviewer. When I was inevitably
accused of writing a positive review for a book just because the publisher
was someone I had worked with, my defense was to point out that I have much
stronger ties at most of the major publishing houses in Israel...