[DWJ] author flirting

Joe oddenda at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 05:47:47 EST 2009

> On Jan 28, 2009, at 3:02 PM, Minnow wrote:
>
> > Isn't Baltimore just near Fastnet, in Cork?  :-)  Along with a
> > whole lot of
> > other Bal-names around those parts...  That leads me directly to
> > 'what does
> > 'bal' or 'balli/y' mean, at the beginning of an Irish place-name?

'Baile' means 'town'. 'Mor' is big, and the 'ti' part sounds like it comes
from the word for 'house'. Town of the big house? The real Irish name is
totally different, though, so who knows what the people who anglicised it
were talking about?

(I don't really know this stuff, in case anyone gets the wrong impression;
I've just been living here for too long for some of it not to have seeped
in. Which reminds me, an overdue intro from me: I'm Joe, a third
Dublin-based list member, I spend some of my time working in an academic
library, some in overambitious carpentry, some reading, and the largest part
of it minding my two small children. Oh, and I have been known to sleep too,
but not much in the past year or so... Hello all.)

Joe