[DWJ] Neil Gaiman wins Newberry

Dorian E. Gray dorianegray at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 14:42:31 EST 2009

Katta said...

> If I have any complaints, it might be that the characterisation feels a
> bit
> unfinished, but then, that's a common problem for me with Gaiman.
> (In a sense, I think his writing works better in visual media such as
> films
> and graphic novels, since no introspection is required and his characters
> are further developed by body language and so on.)

Ah, I am not alone!

I couldn't have said just *why* I don't seem to get on so well with most of
Gaiman's text-only work, but I think this explanation has hit the nail on
the head.  I got bored with "Anansi Boys" before I was even halfway through,
and I think it was because I didn't really care what happened to the
characters.  I can't remember a damn' thing about "Stardust", and "American
Gods" had the odd effect of causing me to put it down halfway through and go
and write a novella.

And yet I adore "Sandman" and "Neverwhere".

Until the sky falls on our heads...

Dorian.
--
Dorian E. Gray
dorianegray at gmail.com
http://dorianegray.livejournal.com

"Fashion is gentility running away from vulgarity, and afraid of being
overtaken."
- William Hazlitt