[DWJ] author flirting

Elizabeth Parks henx19 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 11:43:53 EST 2009

I thought it was cute, but then, I wasn't reading it as having
anything to do with any actual personal relationship between the two,
I realize (now) that some of you are actually do have personal
relationships (of some level) with DWJ, Gaiman, and/or other authors,
but for those of us who tend to think of authors as beingly only
slightly more real than their characters, it was just a way of noting
the back-and-forth of blurbs and quotes, which I have never taken as
something inappropriate or questionable in any way, but rather an
example of authors being readers and genuinely liking each other's
work.  So I think that taking that statement as pejorative at all
might have more to do with the listener's perspective than the
speaker's.  From a distance, it appears relatively harmless, and while
a serious, in-profession claim of something might be a bit worrisome,
I don't know that an idle fan-comment should be taken as much more
than just that.

the first time I ever heard of Neil Gaiman, actually, was when I read
his poem about having Hexwood dedicated to him.  It was another few
years before I realized that he'd written anything of his own.  It
seemed quite reasonable to me that any fan lucky enough to have a DWJ
book (especially Hexwood--I love Hexwood) dedicated to him or her
would be ecstatic enough to write a poem about it and spread it around
online.

I came to the realization that blurbs were silly when I was fifteen
and finishing up my mother's decade-long backlog of Nora Roberts
novels.  Every single one of them for, oh, about a decade, had the
exact same Entertainment Weekly quote: "her stories have fueled the
dreams of TWENTY FIVE MILLION readers!"  which, aside from being
silly, says nothing about the book.  but talking about the silliness*
of romance novels and the romance novel industry would be a whole
'nother thread.

*proof of silliness: on the shelves now, I believe you can find
Harlequin's "The Sicilian Shiek Billionare's Pregnant Virgin Waitress
Mistress."  Or something along those lines.

--lizzie